It’s like procrastination has become an accepted ailment that people now have. It’s almost like a worthy excuse. “Well I just waited too long,” or “Sorry, I was just late”… but since when is that an excuse, let alone a worthy one? Could you imagine the quality of life you could have with yourself, your team, your employee, your employer, or anyone you are in contact with if they did not accept procrastination as an ailment. If they took it for what it truly is. The $500 Millionaire (5H$M) defines procrastination as the complete lack of care, discipline, and desire.
The 5H$M has some thoughts to help procrastinators be productive. The problem with being a procrastinator is that life goes on. Even if you’re late, life is not waiting. Most procrastinators are very surprised when they get into a jam or time crunch, but if you looked at their past ability to manage their time or priorities, you will see that it is very clear how and why they are in this situation. Life goes on and time keeps moving.
Here are 5 steps to be a “Productive Procrastinator”.
- Acknowledge but do not accept.
- We all have a bit of “I’ll get to that later” in us but we need to understand priorities. Too many times people accept their own excuses not to get things done, rather than acknowledging the obstacle to getting things done and finding a way to make it happen.
- Figure out how it works.
- Each of us works differently so review how you have gotten things done in the past. Most procrastinators DO get the work done, they just wait to the last minute and do JUST enough to get it done. No matter what they say, rarely is it their best work.
- Create a CONSCIOUS system for it to work in your benefit.
- TIP OF THIS BLOG!!! Everyone’s strategy is different but the 5H$M suggest to do one thing that will radically reduce you stress and increase your quality of work/life. Take ANY deadline that you EVER have, and move it up 24 hours. The 5H$M calls this the “Day Before Deadline” If you have a paper due, bill due, proposal due, etc…it is very simple, move it up a day. If it is due on Tuesday, it needs to be 100% complete by Monday. If it is due on Monday, get it done on Friday so you don’t have to worry about it over the weekend.
- Use this system to start gaining positive results.
- Once you start gaining positive results over and over again, then your subconscious mine will start doing this on its own.
- Repetition is the only thing that makes conscious effort into subconscious results
Nothing in this blog is mind blowing or earth shattering. This is something that can make your life stress free. We talked in past blogs about time management and it comes down to making a decision. When it comes to making a decision, the 5H$M wants you to know that being INTERESTED is not strong enough. The 5H$M suggests that you NEED to be COMMITTED instead. When you are COMMITTED, you will do whatever it takes. When you are INTERESTED, you will do what is convenient.
If there is one tip the 5H$M would want you to take away outside of the “day before deadline,” is to stop just being interested in you life and start being committed.